4 Summer Salad Recipes with High-Protein Low-Calorie Foods
Summer's coming and with the heat, it can be hard not to sit down with a huge ice cream cone and a glass of sugary lemonade to cool down. But why eat those extra calories when you can add some delicious high-protein low-calorie foods into a salad and create a wonderful meal? Here are some healthy salad recipes you can make to stay in shape fitness and achieve optimal health.
1. Barbecued Spiced Shrimp with Tomato Salad
- 1/3 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Kosher salt and black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 24 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 large yellow heirloom tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Puree basil leaves and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Light grill.
- Mix paprika, cumin, brown sugar, coriander, cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/3 teaspoon of salt.
- Brush canola oil on shrimp and season with spices.
- Grill shrimp on medium-high heat until they're cooked thoroughly and slightly charred (about 4 minutes).
- Arrange onions and tomatos on platter, drizzle with basil and olive oil puree, top with shrimp and garnish.
2. Berry, Melon, and Feta Salad
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1/2 minced lemon zest or preserved lemon peel
- 1 small, thinly sliced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (crushed)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 orange or yellow melon peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green melon peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 ounces thinly sliced feta cheese
- Combine olive oil, shallot, lemon juice, crushed pepper, and preserved lemon using a small bowl. Season using salt and pepper.
- Arrange melon and berries on serving platter, drizzle dressing on top. Garnish with feta and chives. Serve.
3. Summer Salad with Arugula Pesto
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups arugula, divided
- 1/4cup of olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- In a food processor, combine 2 cups of arugula, oil, parmesan, salt and pepper, and pulse until a smooth consistency.
- In a medium bowl, place vegetables, add arugula mixture, pesto, feta, and tomatoes and the last cup of arugula to the bowl and toss until coated. Garnish with pine nuts.
4. Avocado Caprese Salad
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (extra virgin)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cups multicolored cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon drained capers (optional)
- 4 ounces small fresh mozzarella balls
- cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- Use a small bowl to whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Use a large bowl to combine avocado, tomatoes, capers, and mozzarella. Add dressing and basil on top and toss to coat.