Choosing the Perfect Sports Bra
So, you are ready to exercise! You probably have a checklist of what you will need ranging from exercise equipment to sneakers. However, an often-overlooked item is a good sports bra. Your bust needs adequate support when you are exercising, especially if you are running or doing a high impact workout. Without support, you are likely to be sore and uncomfortable. Below we answer some of the questions you may have and offer tips that help you get the best sports bra for you!
Why is it important to have a good sports bra?
During physical activity, your breast will move and bounce about regardless of its size. They are predominantly made of fatty tissue and ligaments. A good sports bra helps to keep your bust in place while you are exercising. This way you avoid pain, soreness, and possible stretching of the skin that can eventually lead to sagging breasts.
What level of support do I need for different types of sports?
Sports bras can be divided into 3 categories:
- Low impact support bras are best for yoga, light exercising, and weight lighting.
- You may consider a medium support bra if you are into cross-training, hiking, or rock climbing.
- High impact support bras are needed for any kind of high impact workout- running, aerobics, or any type of high motion activity.
What are some tips for getting the perfect fit (sizing)?
- Use your usual bra size as a guide- Going smaller may just result in an uncomfortable fit.
- Put your finger under the band and lift. It should not move more than about half of an inch. A sports bra needs to be relatively tight to provide the support you need.
- Move in the bra during your fitting- Lift your arms over your head, if the band twists it's not the right fit. Do a few jumping jacks in the changing room and see if you are getting the support you need.
How long does a sports bra last?
A sports bra can generally last you between 6 to 12 months. Of course, this depends on how often you wash it, how you wash it (gentle cycle or hand washing is best), and how often you use it. However, if you are seeing signs of wear or It's not supporting you as it used to, it may be time to get a replacement. Sway Advanced Sport Bra could serve as a good choice!